From the Hyobi blog.
Huobi Global is known for its strict security measures. But just as technology is constantly evolving, hackers keep finding ever more sophisticated ways of accessing users’ accounts and the Bitcoins and altcoins they own.
While Huobi Global prioritizes the security of users’ accounts, crypto security is ultimately dependent on your good personal habits. This lesson will introduce you to 5 simple habits that will significantly increase your Huobi account’s security. Some are self-evident, implying that security doesn’t have to be complicated. On the contrary, it is precisely the simple measures that will keep your crypto safe in the long run.
1. Regular password maintenance: The first step to account security is to set a strong password. A strong password must be unique, which means one you don’t use on other websites. This is especially important if you use the same email or phone number on other websites. Additionally, it must be a password no one will guess easily, and that you can use in someone else’s presence without them being able to decipher it. Use at least eight characters, including numbers, upper- and lower-case letters, and special characters.
Setting a strong password is an excellent first step. But afterwards, you must remember to change it regularly. You don’t have to be obsessive about it but changing it once in a while can help protect your account against attackers in the case of a leaked password. Remember also to change the password to the email associated with your account.
It would also be best not to use your primary email to set up a Huobi account, as it may have been the target of a data breach. Using independent email addresses for each service can mitigate the chances of any breach affecting multiple accounts. You can also check whether your data has been already compromised by a breach on haveibeenpwned.com.
2. Log in with Google two-factor authentication (2FA): After successfully creating a Huobi Global account, the next step should be activating 2FA. It gives your account an additional layer of security by enforcing strong encryption — in addition to entering your email and password, you need to obtain a code from a separate authentication app to log in. This means anyone trying to access your account must first gain access to your device in order to successfully log in.
After downloading the Google 2FA app, you can go to the settings to link it to your account.
3. Whitelist withdrawal addresses: Your Huobi Global account has a security feature called Whitelist that enables you to create an exclusive list of addresses allowed for withdrawal. Once this list is enabled, you can withdraw only to addresses on the list.
You can create a whitelist by adding trusted addresses to the withdrawal addresses list, then enabling it from the tab in the top-right corner of your screen (see the image below). You can also read our more detailed instructions for creating a whitelist.
Huobi Global | Whitelist
Using the Whitelist function will restrict even hackers who may have found a way to log in to your account, as they will be unable to withdraw funds from your account. We recommend adding your most used and trusted addresses first, and adding more as time goes on.
Make sure to note these factors before enabling the whitelist:
– After adding addresses to the whitelist, you need to wait some time for the platform to activate them.
– Disabling the whitelist service or shortening the pending time needs to be reviewed by the platform administrator.
4. Avoid phishing attacks when surfing the Internet: A phishing attack is usually conducted via emails, messaging, or social media. For example, you might receive an email that asks you to send your authentication code, password, credit card number, or other credentials. However, such emails are not legitimate and are often from scammers attempting to impersonate someone else (for example, an email sent by ‘Houbi’ instead of Huobi). Replying to phishing emails with any information might give the scammers access to your crypto holdings.
It’s best to visit Huobi Global only from a saved bookmark instead of searching for it on the Internet each time. If you haven’t done so already, we recommend bookmarking this link: https://www.huobi.com. With this simple step, you can avoid fake Huobi Global websites aiming to trick you into revealing your account information.
Another Huobi Global security feature is its anti-phishing code. Setting an anti-phishing code means you will always receive Huobi Global notification emails with a personalized code to let you know that the emails come from a trusted source. For example, if you set the code as “Bitcoin to the moon”, each trusted Huobi email will include that text.
Huobi Global will never ask users to provide their passwords; do not trust anyone who asks for your credentials or passwords while claiming to be representing Huobi Global.
5. Don’t trust the Internet: Always ensure your Internet connection is secure. The issue with unknown Internet networks is that they can expose your information to attackers who can intercept the data you transmit.
You may need to connect to public Wi-Fi networks now and then, but never check token prices from your Huobi Global account if you are on a public network or any shared Internet connection, as scammers often use such networks as well.
Following these account security habits while interacting with crypto is simple and can preserve your precious tokens. Keep in mind that it is also in our best interests to keep your account safe — the crypto industry is growing fast, and creating a more secure environment will benefit us all. As such, both crypto service providers and end-users must play their part in order to ensure all accounts are kept as safe and secure as possible.
Be sure to also check out our lesson on crypto wallet security.
New to Huobi? Register for a Huobi account and receive up to $5,672 as a ‘Welcome Bonus’ to help you start your investment journey! If you’re an existing user, check out Huobi Earn and start earning interest on your idle cryptocurrencies.
This article came directly from the Hyobi Global blog, found on https://blog.huobi.com/5-simple-habits-to-keep-your-huobi-account-safe-and-secure/